Wednesday, April 13, 2011

COWGIRLS

When i was a very  little girl i wanted to be a vet. Then my beloved cat died and i realized that animals dying was a big part of being a vet. That was the end of wanting to be a vet. From the age of around 6 when asked what i wanted to be, i would say " a cowgirl."

My parents tell the story that when i was very young i would asked each person i meet " you got a peeecuuup?" aka pickup. If the person said "no" i would walk away wanting nothing more to do with them. If they said "yes", then  i was a friend. I guess cowgirls always love trucks.....and horses.


Lana and Mr. Russell
 I got a horse for my 6th birthday. He was a welsh pony named "Mr. Russell."  Russ was named after the man we got the pony from.  Russ was a perfect kids horse. We rode him 3 at a time, slide of his rear end, and sat under him. I rode him in our small town parade, decked out it full cowgirl attire...including my rifle of course.

Brooks and Dunn have a song that always reminds me of my dad teaching me to ride.
"Cowgirls don't cry"
Her daddy gave her, her first pony
Then taught her to ride
She climbed high in that saddle
Fell I don't know how many times
Taught her a lesson that she learned
Maybe a little too well

Cowgirls don't cry
Ride, baby, ride
lessons of life are going to show you in time
soon enough your gonna know why
it's gonna hurt every now and then
if you fall get back on again
Cowgirls don't cry


When our daughter Katy was 3 she would tell you she was a "cowgirl princess."   I am not sure of the defintion of that, but i know i never wanted to be anything "princess"  :) Cactus Kate has her own style.


We have been looking for a kids horse for Katy, and a good friend found us "Mac." Mac is a 21 year old ret roping horse.  Mac and Katy are spending the next few weeks getting to know each other, and making sure they are a good fit. So far so good. Katy loves Mac and i think the feeling is mutual. Katy is using the same saddle i rode as a little girl, and this makes me very happy.



The start of big dreams


friends


love you buddy
 George Straight has a song i like called "how bout those cowgirls"
How 'bout them cowgirls
Boys ain't they somthin'
Sure are some proud girls
And you can't tell 'em nothin'
And I tell you right now girls
May just be seven wonders of this big, old round world
But how 'bout them cowgirls




Katy on my mare Pistol kissing her favorite cowboy..her dad
I ended up being a police officer, but in my heart i was always a cowgirl. Now i am back to that dream, and Katy will get a chance to be a cowgirl if she wishes....i do hope she doesn't want to include the police officer part thou :)

7 comments:

  1. I think Katy looks an awful lot like her Momma at that age...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is a country song! Love this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katy is very lucky to have you two for her parents. My childhood horse fever from age 7 was quenched loitering at a stable and riding and caring for others horses. My first horse that I owned I bought at 18. Had that guy for 30 years. How wonderful through two generations two girls dreams have been fulfilled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha wanted to be a vet too! until i finished high school then i was like "nah im going for this horse thing while i can".....never quite sure if it was the right decision, but i love my life all the same

    hope your daughter follows her heart whereever it takes her cowgirl or not!

    check out my blog to

    www.wildhorseproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the cutest story and pictures! I wanted to be a cowgirl too. Problem was, I grew up in the suburbs. I was a cowgirl every year for Halloween, (except for when I was and Indian) played with my Breyer horses, and visited my aunt with her horses. If they were busy, they'd just put me on a horse and go about their business while I rode up and down their driveway 'till the sun went down. Scott said when we retire and quit traveling, I can have a pony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a cowgirl and still am, at heart. I had a son and a grandson. I tried to make them both 'cowboys.' No such luck. Cherish your cowgirl :0) I started with a Welsh/Arab pony that threw me more times than I like to think about. Good fit with the retired roper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of us have some cowgirl at heart :)

    ReplyDelete